Topeka Car Accident Attorney
Our Award-Winning Team Has Recovered Millions
After being injured in a car accident, do you know where you can turn for legal assistance or how to pursue compensation? Most people feel understandably shaken and unsure following a crash. To regain your confidence and get your injury claim started correctly, connect with Ralston, Pope & Diehl, LLC and our car accident lawyers in Topeka KS. Known for both our legal prowess and genuine compassion for our clients, we can be your trusted guides through your case from start to finish.
Accomplishments, accolades, and awards our law firm’s members have won include:
- Founded in 1985 and 130+ years of experience
- Best Lawyers® Best Law Firms by U.S. News & World Report
- Clients’ Choice Award on Avvo (Attorney Tom Diehl)
- Multiple Super Lawyers® nominations
- Positive client testimonials
- Heavy involvement in community and charitable work
Car Accident Damages and Time Limits
There are two main types of damages available after a car accident economic, and non-economic. Economic damages, also called special damages compensate for quantifiable losses after an accident such as missed days at work or medical bills. Non-economic damages compensate for more abstract losses such as pain and suffering. Every state does place a time limit on how long you have to file a claim before you lose your right to pursue compensation, also called the statute of limitations. In Kansas, the statute of limitations to file a car accident claim is two years from the date of the accident.
What is a No-Fault State?
The state of Kansas is a "no-fault" state which means everyone is required to have personal injury protection (PIP) insurance coverage. This PIP coverage pays for whatever medical or out of pocket expenses are required after an accident regardless of who's fault the accident was.
You can pursue compensation from the negligent driver you caused the accident if your medical expenses exceed your PIP coverage or your injuries qualify as "serious." Additionally, if you are eligible to file a personal injury claim against a driver you can pursue compensation for pain and suffering, compensation not available with PIP claims. An injury is serious if it results in:
- Permanent disfigurement
- Permanent injury
- Bone fracture
Can I File A Car Accident Claim After Insurance Pays?
Since most insurance settlements state that the compensation amount in the agreement will be the only compensation pay out, once you agree to a settlement it can be very difficult to recover anything further. As such it’s important to speak to an attorney about your case, as soon as possible, before agreeing to anything with an insurance company. If you have already signed an agreement, call our firm today to learn what options you may have and how our firm can help you.
Common Causes of Auto Accidents in Kansas
Our firm represents injured clients in all types of car accident cases caused by a wide variety of circumstances. We believe that providing you with compassionate representation every step of the way and really getting to know you allows us to better represent your best interests and understand the cause of the accident at its source. In turn, we will be better equipped to hold the accountable party liable for the damages.
Some of the most common causes of car accidents include:
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Unsafe road conditions
- Defective auto parts
- Traffic law violations
- Reckless driving
The thread among all of these causes is preventability. When people act safely and accordingly, the vast majority of car accidents can be completely avoided. Enforcing liability for damages through a claim can help people correct their driving behaviors and prevent similar collisions from occurring in the future.
Put 130+ Years of Experience on Your Side
Once you are ready to file your claim in pursuit of compensation from the liable driver, call (785) 200-9465 to connect with Ralston, Pope & Diehl, LLC. Our firm has won many awards over the years for our excellence in the field of personal injury thanks to our dedication to providing our clients with high quality, compassionate representation. When you need to reach out for help, please do not hesitate to talk to our team. We truly care about you, your family, and your future.
Want to Learn More? Read What to Do After Being in a Car Accident
Your actions immediately following a car accident can heavily influence your chances of recovering a fair, maximized compensation amount. At Ralston, Pope & Diehl, LLC, our Topeka car accident attorneys want the people of our communities to be prepared for anything, even if they never become our clients. In case you ever find yourself blindsided by a reckless driver, try to keep the following list of steps to take after a car accident in mind.
- Check on everyone for serious injuries: Call 911 if someone is seriously injured or there is significant debris littering the street. If your vehicle can be moved safely, pull over as far as possible from the road.
- Take pictures of all injuries and vehicular damage: Be thorough, as the more information you gather, the more you can use for your claim later.
- Do not apologize or say you are sorry: Any sort of apology can be misconstrued as an admission of guilt by the other driver’s insurance company, making it easier for them to place liability on your shoulders.
- Collect or request accident reports from any emergency responders at the scene, including paramedics, police officers, and firefighters.
- If you were not given emergency medical treatment for your injuries, arrange to see a doctor as soon as possible. You should find a way to urgent care for same-day evaluations. You may have subtle injuries that need to be diagnosed. Delaying any medical treatment can also increase your own liability for your injuries in a subsequent claim.
- Call a Topeka auto accident attorney as soon as you are in a safe and sound position. Retaining legal help early in your case ensures nothing important will be overlooked.
Don't wait to get started! Contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation with an experienced Topeka auto accident lawyer.